Law Asia has an independent International Advisory Council “IAC” of senior figures from industry, finance, government agencies and the professions. The IAC provides wisdom, perspective, feedback, advice, guidance, direction and added focus to Law Asia.
Law Asia International Advisory Council Members:-
- Tan Pheng Hock (Singaporean) - Group President and CEO of ST Engineering, one of Asia’s leading defence, information, communications and engineering MNCs with assets exceeding S$ 7 billion. On numerous advisory Boards including the Economic Development Board of Singapore, and many non-Executive Board appointments including Sembawang Group, Neptune Orient Lines etc. Awarded the Public Service Medal of Singapore, Asian Leader award by Platinum Circle (2010), CNBC Asia Talent Management Award (2009) and the first Asian CEO to be awarded the Walter L. Hurd Foundation World Executive Medal by Asia Pacific Quality Organisation (2007).
- Göran Seifert (Swedish) - Managing Director of Anda Pacific, advising European Mid -Caps on Asian business strategy. Former AsiaPac Head of Italcementi / Ciments Francais Group –Milan and Paris listed. Board member of LightLab Sweden, and of Italcementi Asian subsidiaries - Jalaprathan Cement, Asia Cement, Zuari Cement, with investments of US$1 Bn in India, Thailand and China. Former President Asia Pacific of Philips Lighting. Wharton Advanced Management Programme alumnus.
- Sev Vettivetpillai (Sri Lanka born) - UK based member of The Abraaj Group’s Executive and Investment Committees. Previously Chief Executive Officer of Aureos Advisers Ltd and Chief Investment Officer for the Aureos Group. The Abraaj Group is a leading private equity house (AUM of USD 7.5 Billion – post merger) specialising in growth capital in emerging markets. Now the world’s leading SME investor.
- Professor Walter Woon (Singaporean) - Former Attorney-General of Singapore; and before that Solicitor-General of Singapore. Now the first Dean of the Singapore Institute of Legal Education and also the Centre for International Law. Mr Woon was also previously Singapore’s Ambassador to Brussels, the European Union, Germany, Greece and Luxembourg; and before that a Nominated Member of Parliament. He is widely regarded as the leading authority on Singapore Company law.
- Piers Willis (British) - Rothschild's Chief Executive Officer for South East Asia and Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Rothschild Malaysia. Mr Willis was formerly Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) Head of Corporate Advisory for Dresdner Kleinwort and a Board member of ASEAN Bankers for 10 years. One of the most experienced corporate financiers in South East Asia.
- Dr. Simon Chesterman (Australian) - Dean, Professor at the National University of Singapore Faculty of Law, and Global Professor and Director of the New York University School of Law Singapore Programme. A former Rhodes Scholar, acknowledged expert on International Law and Editor of the Asian Journal of International Law. Formerly Executive Director of NYU's Institute for International Law and Justice; and before that with the United Nations' coordination office for Yugoslavia and the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.
- YB Dato Amin Rafie (Malaysian) - Managing Director of Plynlymon Capital; formerly Managing Director of Dubai Asia Venture Group ; prior to which he was Chief Executive Officer of Rio Capital Sdn Bhd. Dato Rafie also held positions of Executive Director of Smith Zain Securities, Director of Rashid Hussain Asset Management and General Manager of Mattra Berhad. He was also formerly President of the Malaysia Association of Asset Managers and member of Listing Committee of Bursa Malaysia Bhd.
- Marjo Louw (South African) - President of Sasol, Qatar- a USD 2 Billion investment by Sasol and its largest investment abroad. Former Asia Pacific Head of Sasol - Energy, Renewables and Power Specialist; Advisor to Singapore authorities on nuclear energy. Mr Louw is highly experienced in running multi-national businesses in North Asia, SE Asia, Europe and now the Middle East. Mr Louw is a former Chairman of the Singapore- South Africa Business Council.
- Daren Kemp (British) - Managing Partner and Global Chairman of the Strategic Partners Program at Heidrick & Struggles. Previously, he was co-leader for Global Markets for the Asia Pacific region, Hub Leader for South East Asia and Partner-in-Charge of the Singapore office of Heidrick & Struggles. Daren started his financial career with Robert/Jardine Fleming in 1989 where he remained for 12 years working within Emerging Markets in Japan, Hong Kong, London and New York.
- Appiah Dinokaran (Singaporean) - Entrepreneur and owner of hotels and restaurants in India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Australia and Singapore. Mr Dinokaran is Vice-Chairman of the Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce.
- George Kypraios (Australian/Greek) -
Senior Director (Asia) for ICON Investments, a leading alternative investment manager to individual and institutional investors. Formerly Associate Director at Macquarie Capital (USA) Inc, and prior to that. Director-Business Development, Services Industry Group at PwC.
- A.S.Thiyagarajan (Thyagu) (Indian) - Co-founder/Managing director of Aquarius Investment Advisors, a Fund Manager specializing in Indian private equity investments. Previously Treasurer at Canara Bank (one of India's leading public sector banks), and thereafter Investment Bank Head of Citibank India.
Copyright © 2010 Law Asia. All rights reserved.